Friday, November 7, 2008

A Literary President

Toni Morrison and other writers are impressed by Obama and looking forward to having a thinking, literary president. Author of THE AUDACITY OF HOPE and DREAMS FROM MY FATHER (both of which I'm about to read), Barack Obama seems to possess something no president has displayed in my lifetime: a talent not only for speaking well, but also for thinking and writing well. Morrison says that when Obama gave his acceptance speech, she "was convinced that he had written it himself, and therefore that he was saying things that he actually believed and had considered."

I couldn't put it better myself (I'm no Toni Morrison). For me, this is the most admirable thing about Obama and the singular reason I like him so much and am so confident that he will do great things. Everything he says is said so eloquently and therefore convincing. He never seems like a guy reading some speech-writer's labored speech written for mass consumption. He speaks with feeling and always seems to present his own thoughts.

Here is the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081106/ap_en_ot/writers_and_obama

No comments: